Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Attitude of Gratitude

I love this time of year with Thanksgiving only a few days away. Thanksgiving is a simple holiday, but such a meaningful one. We have so much to be grateful for, and I know that gratitude accompanies happiness. #1- I am most grateful for my boyfriend, James. How the heck did I ever deserve this man! I must have done something really right up there! He is the kindest, most understanding, forgiving, silliest, happiest man alive. I love you James! The picture of the sunset is because he never lets a good sunset get past us. He has taught me to enjoy the sunsets!

#2- My kids, of course! They remind me every single day, whether I want to or not, to capture the sunshine! Because of them I see beauty, happiness, simple pleasures, joy, forgiveness and pure love. I love who I have become because of them.

#3- I am grateful for our freedom. It really is something that is taken for granted too often and something that is so huge, and important. We probably don't even realize how lucky we are to have it.

#4-My cozy bed! I love sleep. Love it! I don't get near enough of it, but there isn't anything better than getting into a warm cozy bed and letting your body relax!

#5- My friends...that includes all of you, and my mom and sisters especially! I have often found comfort in you, and love that I can depend on you and that we can help support each other through rough and happy times in our lives. I love my girls!

#6- Slippers. I get so excited when it is cold enough to wear slippers. Even though I hate the cold, I love that I can keep my toes warm in a cute pair of slippers!

#7- Autumn. I love everything about autumn. The look, the smell, the tastes, EVERYTHING. Autumn will always be special to me because it was autumn 2 years ago when I learned how to truly be happy. I was able to let go and put a lot of my fears and anxieties in their proper places and let myself be happy. You know how certain smells can remind you of things, that's how autumn is for me. (this could potentially be a long one, so if you are curious about my journey to happiness, let me know and I can give you more details. I love talking about my struggle to overcome my anxiety, but I won't bore you now!)

#8-I am grateful for my cell phone. I am. I love my cell phone. Well, not exactly right now because I am punishing myself with the cheapest saddest looking phone I could find. Why??? you may ask?? Because I am cursed. No, really. I have gone through 7 cell phones this year alone. One was dropped in a cup of apple juice, two went for swims in the toilet, two just stopped working, one took a dip in a cup of Dr. Pepper (curse you Dr. pepper!!!) one went swimming in the dish water. Fluids+Me+Cell phone= DISASTER!!! So-even though I stink at taking care of them (boy this is embarrassing!) I love them.

#9-I am grateful for change. I am a person who thrives on it. Especially little changes, like rearranging the furniture or my kitchen appliances. I am grateful that Heavenly Father allows us to be constantly changing and faced with change. I don't love all change, but most times looking back I can see how much I have grown because of it. There is a story of a man who noticed a butterfly struggling to break free of its cocoon. He watched it for a minute and then decided to cut the cocoon to help the butterfly emerge. It worked, and the butterfly was free. Well, what the man didn't know was that the struggle to free itself from the cocoon was what made the butterfly's wings strong. That butterfly went its whole life unable to fly because its wings where not strong enough... Change. It's a good thing. Don't be afraid of it.

Now it's your turn to find things to be grateful for!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post Tausha! You're such an inspiration to me and I'm grateful to have you as one of my fabulous siters-in-law. Have a great Thanksgiving! Now I'm gonna do a post like this too :)

David said...

:)
wow! has another year gone by already?! Is it already thanksgiving?

I think resolution day should be after thanksgiving. It's so much easier to think of the year with grateful hearts.
Such a rollercoaster of a year!

I've recently looked at past journals (like when I was still in high school) and I find myself saying the same things I did then, but it feels so much deeper now. Words can't convey all of the meaning. Based on words alone, I'm just a record stuck in the same line. But add spiritual depth and see the passion in my actions. It's not the same. I am much more grateful for my life and all life on earth. :)

Anonymous said...

so sweet tausha :) nice to hear those things, even the simple ones..it can be easy to forget, so thank you for sharing :)

p.s. i think you should give me your cell...at least on thursday when you have your D.P. ;) haha so funny!! :P