Monday, September 27, 2010

My Poor Baby

Our poor little baby had to go to the hospital last week. I brought him to the doctors on Thursday, Sept 23rd, because of a yucky cough he had that was getting worse. I was shocked when the doctor found that both of his ears where infected. She told me that when babies under 30 days get ear infections they worry because it usually means something more serious is going on inside their little bodies, so she told me to go to the hospital where they could run some tests and monitor him.

At the hospital they gave Dalin an IV, drew a whole lot of blood, did a spinal tap and a chest x-ray. When they took Dalin away for the spinal tap (no parents allowed for that procedure) James and I just cried and prayed and prayed some more. It was very scary. He did very well and they said most babies actually fall asleep during spinal taps because of the tight fetal position they get them into, which Dalin did, thank goodness)The chest x-ray was by far the worst thing. If you have ever seen or had one of your kids have a chest x-ray all I can say is I feel your pain, and if you haven't...I say pray you never do!!! They are awful. They have to stick the baby in a plastic clear cylinder shaped thing and strap them in with their arms above their head. It is torture!!! So hard to watch! He also had a heart rate monitors strapped to his chest and an oxygen monitor strapped to his foot.

I was grateful to the staff at McKay Dee for how thorough they were . They crossed every "t" and dotted every "i". I am so grateful for the doctors and nurses who were exceptionally good at their jobs and took very good care of Dalin.

After all the testing was done we played the waiting game, as we waited for all the results to come back. James came and went for the next 48 hours as he took care of the other kids and worked. My Mom came up for a little while to keep me company one day too. So Dalin and I got a lot of time to watch movies and take naps.

Besides his awful cough, you would have never known he was sick. He had no other symptoms, not a runny nose or a fever. We were relieved to find out that he did not have a secondary infection and that he had 2 viruses. One was the common cold virus, and the other was the virus that causes croup. The viruses where also the cause of the ear infections.

After a steroid shot to help open up his air way to help the cough we were able to come home Saturday afternoon. He is on antibiotics for his ears, but other than that he is doing great. He is a fighter, and we are so grateful that everything turned out to be okay. It could have been a lot worse.


Rae Lynne said...

What a difficult time for you all. I am SO relieved that he is going to be okay!

I just love to see new pictures of him! He's getting more and more adorable! Give him and all the kids a hug from us :) Take care and always know how much we love you guys!

Tami said...

I am so glad that all is well! I can't wait to see him again! He is SO cute! Love ya!

Connie Robinson said...

That's so sad. Yes we know all about chest x-rays! NOT COOL! I am glad everything is better! He is just SOOO cute! Every picture of him is perfect!

Nicolas, Natalie, Avery, and Aunica said...

Oh my word, how scary! I am so glad everything turned out okay, though how terrible to have to go through all those tests! He is SO darling though. He has such beautiful, big eyes, and I still can't get over all his hair. He is beautiful!