Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My New Bowl of Ice Cream

Meet my new bowl of ice cream. It is a lot less creamy and does not have near enough sugary goodness as I am use to, but I am pretty excited about it.
For the past 2 nights, instead of putting the kids to bed and sitting down to a big ol' bowl of vanilla with chocolate syrup goodness, I have laced up my running shoes, dusted off the treadmill and ran like crazy. Well, let's be honest, it is more like a slow jog...but I am getting there.

AND, while I am burning some calories I am catching up on some re-runs of Lost. Now, instead of my nightly dose of sugar and cream, I am getting my nightly dose of Jack Shephard!

I learned something pretty fantastic about setting goals the other day. I have always been really good at setting goals, but really, really bad at keeping them. I realized that in my need for perfection I usually set my goals too high.

Here is a quick and easy method for setting goals. It is called the M.T.O method. So, for instance, I want to get back in shape. I have been exercising on average 1-2 days a week. So instead of saying, (in a Wonder Woman voice) "I will exercise 6 days a week and I will never eat ice cream again!" I set a MINIMUM goal. I want to at least work out 3 days a week. Then I set my TARGET goal. Ideally, I would like to exercise 4 days a week. And my OUTRAGEOUS goal (now remember, outrageous does not mean impossible), would be to exercise 5 days a week. Make sense? This way I am never setting myself up to fail.

If I only get 3 workouts in one week, I am still within my goal range, and I won't give up because it seems impossible to achieve my goal. Yes??

Now I am going to go Deep Blue my legs, cause they are killing me!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you, Tausha! What a huge accomplishment! That MTO method is genius. You are an inspiration!